TITLE: Associate Director of Music and Worship
REPORTS TO: Director of Music and Worship
RESPONSIVE TO: Traditional Worship Team, Pastors
DATE: Spring 2022
FULL-TIME: 40 hours/week
Alamo Heights UMC seeks an individual to be a part of an established and creative Music and Worship Ministry team. AHUMC Music Ministry is rich in tradition and aims to support and encourage the worship arts. This is a full-time position. Job duties include, but are not limited to, planning, administrating, and growing an established Children's Music program, working alongside a team of music educators, developing faith and service through music, fostering relationships with the families in the ministry, recruiting for the future and supporting the worship arts. There are opportunities for other duties based on experience and length of time in the position.
- Be a faithful representative of AHUMC by living out the core beliefs, values, and practices of the Christian faith as exhibited in the Holy Scripture, the life of Jesus, and the theology and Discipline of the United Methodist Church.
Faith development of children through participation in music and the arts.
Direct, manage and grow the children's music ministry.
Assist the Director of Music and Worship with ensembles and worship.
Attend/Participate in Sunday morning sanctuary services.
Support the Identity and Purpose Statements of the church
Identity: Alamo Heights United Methodist Church is a Christian community of love, hope, and belonging for all.
Purpose: Welcome all people. Build community. Share God's love. Serve the world.
Children's Music Ministry
- Plan and administer the Sunday afternoon children's music program, kinder-grade 5.
- Communicate children's musical opportunities with the church and the broader community.
- Plan worship participation schedule for Children's Music.
- Oversee the contracted children's music teachers.
- Oversee and delegate administrative details involved in the children's music ministry: database, mailings, celebrations, recognitions, etc.
- Select music for worship participation.
- Establish curriculum and goals for the Sunday afternoon music program.
- Plan extracurricular events for children's music participants throughout the school year.
- Serve as director of a children's choir.
- Establish weekly contact with parents to keep everyone up to date on happenings within the ministry.
- Manage and administrate the Summer Music Camp for children grades 1-6. The camp currently takes place last week of June.
- Develop relationships with children and their families
- Revive and develop the Music and Me Program for children birth-pre-k and parents.
Broader Music and Worship Ministry
- Work alongside the Acolyte leader
- Assist with and attend Youth Choir rehearsals and functions
- Sing in the Adult Choir and develop relationships with choir members
- Assist in worship preparations for Sunday services (altar, communion, liturgy preparation for screens, and Livestream needs as they arise per season)
- Collaborate with the Children’s Ministry team.
- Prepare and manage Social Media posts for the Music Ministry.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor of Music degree (education, voice, choral conducting)
- Knowledge and experience in working with children and youth.
- Computer skills (Office 365 or similar programs)
- a plus: Sibelius, InDesign, Photoshop
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- We are looking for someone interested in pursuing collaborative and creative teamwork within the Music Ministry team as well as whole church ministries.
- Apply by submitting a cover letter and resumé on Indeed.
- Questions about the position can be e-mailed to Nona Schwab.